Last year, we did 19 predictions for 2019. It’s only natural to go 20 for 2020.
First, here’s some of the highlights from last year:
- Splitting the difference on a couple of subjective ones, it was a 10 for 19 hit rate.
- Bayern Munich winning the Bundesliga wasn’t a given at the time. That hit.
- Manchester United were in the midst of an OGS revival at the time of the post. They did miss out on the top 4.
- Mo Salah did win the Golden Boot.
- Christian Pulisic did struggle early for Chelsea.
- Lionel Messi did win the Ballon D’or.
Now, on with this year’s predictions.
20 Predictions for 2020
- Ok, Liverpool do win the Premier League this year. It’s happening.
- Bayern Munich do not win the Bundesliga. Their reign is over. For a year.
- But Bayern make a run to the Champions League final.
- Manchester City do not make a run to the Champions League final.
- Because they lose to Real Madrid.
- Pep Guardiola is no longer managing Man City by the end of 2020.
- But at least he gets to celebrate another City Carabao Cup triumph.
- Inter Milan break Juventus‘ reign and win Serie A.
- Zlatan doesn’t score more than 6 goals at AC Milan.
- The USMNT will continue to under-perform but Gregg Berhalter will remain the coach.
- The USWNT will not the 2020 Olympic gold.
- England finally breaks through and wins the Euro 2020.
- Neither Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo win the Ballon D’or.
- Riding the wave of England (and Liverpool) goodwill, Trent Alexander-Arnold finishes top 3 in the Ballon.
- LAFC do not win the MLS Cup.
- Neither do Atlanta United, who sack Frank de Boer.
- Paul Pogba ends up at Real Madrid.
- Kylian Mbappe does not though.
- Neymar does join Barcelona.
- But Mbappe joins Liverpool, who sell Mo Salah to PSG.