Zero-time European champions Manchester City obliterated a hapless Watford 8-0 at the Etihad today.
It was a
FFP-rules breaking record-breaking day for City on multiple fronts:
- They became the first Premier League team to score five goals in the first 18 minutes of a match.
- Sergio Aguero becomes the first player in Premier League history to score a goal in each of the first six games.
- And while not necessarily a record, Kevin de Bruyne has recorded more EPL assists than Mesut Ozil (who once had 19 in a season and 52 total)…in 41 less games.
Watford not immediately relegated…
Here’s the thing: if you lose by 8 goals to any Premier League squad, even one that broke financial fair play regulations in its billion euro assemble, you should automatically be relegated. No if ands or buts. It shouldn’t be up for debate.
At a minimum, you know when you’re golfing from the pro tees, and you fail to hit the ball past the ladies’ tee, and you’re supposed to walk the rest of the hole with your junk out of your pants? Well that’s what Watford should be forced to do in their next Premier League match against Wolverhampton.
…nor is Watford the favorite to finish last
Despite being in last place with a -14 goal differential (WHICH IS 9 WORSE THAN ANYONE ELSE AFTER JUST 6 GAMES), Watford are not the bookies favorite to actually finish in last.
Over at FanDuel Sportsbook, Newcastle United is the choice to finish 20th at +340. If that’s not an indictment on Steve Bruce, we’re not sure what is. Watford is priced at +500.
A new HPS MLS Podcast is now live!
Topics covered include:
- Why FC Cincinnati has played so badly this season, and potential building blocks for the future
- Cincy’s academy situation and lessons they can take from other teams to rebuild
- David Silva potentially going to Inter Miami.