The following page provides details on the 2020-21 UEFA Champions League. It will be updated throughout the competition.
Second round qualifying matches are done. Third round fixtures are set for September 15-16th. Final playoff entry matches will take place on September 22nd and 29th.
No major surprises yet, except for Celtic getting knocked out in the second round.
For more 2020-21 Champions League information, read the following:
2020-21 UEFA Champions League Title Odds
Odds will be posted soon.
Also, give our how to bet the Champions League a read. If you’re interested in betting the Champions League in the US, in New Jersey take a look at DraftKings Sportsbook or FanDuel Sportbook. We’ll post recommendations for Pennsylvania residents in the near future.
What teams have qualified for the 2020-21 UEFA Champions League?
A total of 26 teams received automatic qualification already based on their domestic league finishes. Those teams are placed into pots based on their previous year league or Champions / Europa League finish. The remaining 6 teams (32 total) qualified via a playoff.
How UEFA Champions League qualification works
The four major domestic leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga) receive 4 automatic Group Stage births (for teams who finish in their top four the previous year). Ligue 1 (France) and the Russian Premier League each receive 3 automatic Group Stage entries.
From there, it’s a complicated cascading system involving coefficients, qualifiers, and playoffs. If you want to figure it out, discern the process from the rundown here.
How Champions League Group Stage pots are determined?
The Group Stage is where most casual (and hardcore) fans start paying attention to the Champions League. This is when 32 qualified teams are slotted into 4 pots. Then they’re randomly drawn to create 8 groups of teams each. The top 2 teams out of each Group advance to the Knockout rounds.
You’ll likely have noticed that teams already qualified for Group play are in pots.
- Pot 1 has the previous year’s Champions League and Europa League winners. Pot 1 also contains the champions of the top 6 associations. This year, the Premier League has 3 of the Pot 1 spots, with Manchester City (EPL winners), Liverpool (Champions League winners) and Chelsea (Europa League winners).
- Pots 2, 3 & 4 contain the remaining teams. Placement is based on their UEFA coefficients.
There are some restrictions on Group Stage draws to restrict certain clubs from playing others from within their league.
Champions League Knockout Rounds
The top two teams in each Group Stage bracket advance to the Champions League Knockout .
- For the Round of 16, a random draw is held with restrictions so clubs from the same domestic league can’t play each other.
- For the Quarterfinals, a random draw is held with no restrictions.
- For the Semifinals and Final, a random draw is held with no restrictions.
Where to bet the 2020-21 UEFA Champions League in the US
In the US, you can legally bet on soccer in New Jersey, Indiana and Pennsylvania.