The January 2021 transfer window has come and gone. Here’s the notable moves made in the Bundesliga.
JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW COMPLETED TRANSFERS
As expected, it was a quieter transfer window with Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, SC Freiburg, VfB Stuttgart, Werder Bremen, and Wolfsburg choosing not to bring any new players in. The other 12 clubs relied heavily on loan deals and free transfers to bolster their squads for the second half of the season.
- Arminia Bielefeld – Midfielder Masaya Okugawa joins on loan from Red Bull Salzburg and scored against Bayern in the Champions League back in November. Striker Michael Vlap joins on loan from Anderlecht.
- Bayer Leverkusen – Timothy Fosu-Mensah has been signed from Manchester United in a $1.8 million deal. Demarai Gray has joined from Leicester City on an 18-month deal. The 24-year-old winger is yet to realize his full potential and will be hoping Peter Bosz can bring the best out of him. Right-back Jeremie Frimpong has joined from Celtic on a permanent deal.
- Bayern Munich – Striker Joshua Zirkzee has joined Parma on loan with an option to buy at $18 million.
- Borussia Mönchengladbach – 18-year-old American RB Joe Scally has joined from New York City FC. Highly-rated 19-year-old CM Kouadio Koné will join from Toulouse at the end of the season.
- Eintracht Frankfurt – Former striker Luka Jović has returned on loan from Real Madrid. Highly-rated 18-year-old Ali Akman will join at the end of the season from Turkish side Bursaspor.
- FC Augsburg – Midfielder Laszlo Benes has joined on loan from Gladbach in search of more minutes.
- FC Köln – 25-year-old midfielder Max Meyer has signed after being released by Crystal Palace. Striker Emmanuel Dennis has joined from Club Brugge. In November, he was axed from their Champions League squad after leaving the team bus when he couldn’t sit in his favorite seat.
- Hertha Berlin – Veteran and World Cup winner Sami Khedira joins from Juventus on a free transfer. Winger Nemanja Radonjic has joined from Olympique Marseille on loan with an option to buy.
- Hoffenheim – Sebastian Hoeneß has signed his former player Angelo Stiller from Bayern Munich II. 18-year-old Striker Geeorginio Rutter has been signed for $602K from Stade Rennais FC. American Chris Richards has joined on loan from Bayern Munich.
- Mainz 05 – Danny Da Costa & Dominik Kohr have both joined on loan from Frankfurt. Striker Robert Glatzel has returned to Germany on loan from Cardiff City.
- RB Leipzig – Signed the exciting Dominik Szoboszlai from Red Bull Salzburg at the start of the window. He’s recovering from an abductor injury & should make his debut soon.
- Schalke 04 – Former players Klaas-Jan Huntelaar & Sead Kolasinac have returned to help save the club from relegation. Right-back William has joined on loan from VfL Wolfsburg. Shkodran Mustafi has joined from Arsenal on a 6-month contract. Highly-rated Turkish Center-back Ozan Kabak has escaped to Liverpool.
- Union Berlin – Promising 19-year-old Leon Dajaku has joined from Bayern Munich on loan. Striker Petar Musa has been brought in on loan from Slavia Praha.
- Werder Bremen – Tahith Ching has returned to Manchester United after his loan deal ended.