The opening matchday of the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League group stage certainly had some surprises.
The PSG superteam with Lionel Messi had a listless draw against Club Brugge. Manchester United lost away to Young Boys. Sheriff announced their intentions with a 2-0 win over Shakhtar Donetsk. And Atletico Madrid had a disappointing draw at home vs perennial over-achievers Porto.
As expected, the results caused some shifts in Champions League group stage advancement odds.
Champions League group stage advancement changes
Here are some notable changes as of September 20, 2021:
- Man U are still favored to advance from the group. However, they saw one of the biggest drops among favorites, going from -550 to -325.
- Young Boys, on the other hand, saw among the biggest improvements. The Swedish side rose from +750 to +125.
- Man City (-700) had the second best odds in their supposed “group of death” behind PSG. City are now -1500. PSG fall from -800 to -480.
- After their 5-1 annihilation of Sporting, Ajax improve from -175 to -550.
- Who is the biggest lock to advance? That would be Real Madrid, who leaped from -2000 to -6000. In the same group, Sheriff jumped from +1600 to +500.
WHERE TO BET THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IN THE US
In the US, you can legally bet on soccer in more than two dozen states. You can bet online in some states, but only in-person betting is allowed in most of them.
DraftKings Sportsbook is available in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
FanDuel Sportsbook is available in Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.