The DFB-Pokal returns midweek for Round 3/Last 16.
2.Bundesliga side Holstein Kiel knocked Bayern Munich out on penalties in the last round, which sent shockwaves around Europe and blew this competition wide open.
Hit me up on Twitter @RegistaPicks with your thoughts, who you support, and picks for the week.
2020-21 DFB-POKAL FUTURES
Here are the futures for the 7 sides I think have a realistic chance of winning the DFB-Pokal:
- Borussia Dortmund +250
- RB Leipzig +275
- Bayer Leverkusen +500
- Borussia Mönchengladbach +800
- VfL Wolfsburg +1200
- VfB Stuttgart +2500
- Werder Bremen +2800
Anything can happen, but on paper, Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen, and Wolfsburg have the easiest path to the next round.
Leipzig at +275 is the safest bet. Julian Nagelsmann’s side has the best defense in the Bundesliga, and that form will transfer into this competition and help them get through the later rounds.
The club that represents the best value is Wolfsburg at +1200. Oliver Glasner’s side is well disciplined, has a good defensive shape, and have Wout Weghorst leading the line. Their leading goalscorer has 17 goals in all competitions, and you would fancy them to grind out a 1-0 win. They don’t have any European football to distract them.
Leverkusen was unbeaten in the first 12 games of the Bundesliga but have lost 5 in their last 7. Peter Bosz’s side is capable of winning this competition, but I think their lack of experience will see them fall short again. They reached the final last season only to lose 4-2 to Bayern and were 3-0 down after 59 minutes.
I don’t think Dortmund represents good value at all. They are the favorites at +250 and more than capable of lifting the cup. BVB has to turn up, and too often this season; we have seen poor, lackluster performances and inconsistency from them.
DFB-POKAL LAST 16 BETTING LINES
ODDS & ENDS
- With a mixture of professional, semi-professional & amateur sides, there’s potential for a big win if you back the right upset.
- Werder Bremen has home advantage and should be able to beat 2.Bundelsiga side Greuther Fürth. Back them at +110.
- Leipzig has the best defense in the Bundesliga and home advantage. There’s great value in Both Teams To Score No at +100.
- A Dortmund, Leipzig, and Wolfsburg Money Line Parlay comes in at +134.
- I think there’s a chance of Dortmund, Leipzig, and Leverkusen all scoring in both halves. A Parlay for these 3 sides adds up to +302.
- If you have faith in the quality of the Bundesliga you can back Wolfsburg, Bremen, and FC Köln in a Money Line Parlay at +596.
WHERE TO BET THE DFB-POKAL IN THE US
In the US, you can legally bet on soccer in New Jersey, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.