With 23 games in the books this 2018-19 Premier League season, the Golden Boot award is once again Mohamed Salah‘s to lose.
Notching a brace in Saturday’s 4-3 win over Crystal Palace, Salah sits with 16 goals, two clear of Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Tottenham’s injured Harry Kane.
Many expected Salah to take a step back this season, but this is proving to be a second-verse, same as the first campaign. At this point last year, Salah had 18 goals and 7 assists. He sits with 16 goals and 7 assists in the Premier League so far, and is just hitting his stride.
If you booked Salah at his pre-season +450 to win the Golden Boot, you’re in excellent shape. Harry Kane will be stalled out at 14 until late March. Only Aubameyang is within shouting distance of Salah with 14 goals. A full six behind Salah are a quartet including Eden Hazard (10), Callum Wilson (10), Sergio Agüero (10), and Raheem Sterling (10).
Salah leads the Premier League in goals per minute as well, finding the net once every 121 minutes only trailing fellow teammate Divock Origi who scores once every 71 minutes. Aubameyang scores one every 131 minutes. Of the viable contenders, only Agüero’s clip is close at every 136 minutes.
Given Liverpool’s reliance on Salah and their potential tight title race, along with his elite goals-per-minutes-played statistics, the Egyptian King’s reign will likely continue.
Golden Boot Leaders After Week 23
- Mohamed Salah (16 goals, 7 assists)
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14 goals, 3 assists)
- Harry Kane (14 goals, 4 assists)
- Eden Hazard (10 goals, 10 assists)
- Callum Wilson (10 goals, 5 assists)
- Raheem Sterling (10 goals, 7 assists)
- Sergio Agüero (10 goals, 6 assists)
- Roberto Firmino (9 goals, 3 assists)
- Sadio Mane (9 goals, 1 assist)
- Gylfi Sigurdsson (9 goals, 3 assists)
- Richarlison (9 goals, 1 assist)