Now the Saudi Arabian consortium has completed their takeover of Newcastle attention has turned to Steve Bruce’s future. A recent survey conducted by the Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust after the defeat by Wolves received 5,649 respondents and 94.3% of them want Bruce out.
With the new regime eager to get the fans onboard it’s a certainty Bruce will be relieved in the coming days with a $11 million severance package.
NEXT NEWCASTLE MANAGER ODDS
- Roberto Martinez +450
- Antonio Conte +500
- Steven Gerrard +600
- Eddie Howe +800
- Brendan Rogers +1400
- Rafael Benitez +1700
- Frank Lampard +2000
- Lucien Favre +2000
- Paulo Fonseca +2500
- Jose Mourinho +2500
- Roberto Mancini +2500
- Graham Potter +2500
- Rudi Garcia +2800
- Unai Emery +3300
*Odds taken from ODDSCHECKER October 8th 3:30PM EST
WHO COULD REPLACE STEVE BRUCE?
Let’s eliminate who isn’t going to take this job:
- I doubt Unai Emery will want to return to the Premier League after the media treated him so poorly and he has a good thing going on at Villarreal.
- Rudi Garcia, Paulo Fonseca, and Lucien Favre are out of a job and available but early reports indicate the new owners want a manager with Premier League experience.
- There’s no way Graham Potter is leaving Brighton with them up in 6th and 2 points off the top of the table.
- Why would Roberto Mancini walk away from Italy with the 2022 World Cup only 13/14 months away?
- Jose Mourinho is a possibility but I think he would see Newcastle as below him in their current state. Maybe in the future.
- Frank Lampard is available and has some Premier League experience but at the wrong end of the table. In Newcastle’s current state I think the job is beyond his skill set.
- Rafael Benitez was the new owners first choice when this deal first emerged last year. I think that boat has sailed and I don’t see him walking out on Everton 3 months into the job. One of the reasons he took over The Toffees was to be closer to his family home.
- Brendan Rogers isn’t walking away from Leicester City.
That leaves us with the four favorite candidates:
- Eddie Howe is a good backup if the other three managers turn them down. He plays good football, knows the Premier League and Championship if the worse happens and Newcastle get relegated. The only issue I see is at Bournemouth he had total control of the club and I don’t think the new owners will afford him that amount of power.
- Steven Gerrard is an interesting choice. He’s done a brilliant job at Rangers winning the Scottish Premiership last season and ending Celtic’s dominance. The only issue I see is his lack of experience managing in the Premier League although his status as a legend of the competition could be enough to convince the owners to take a chance.
- Antonio Conte is the dream choice. A proven winner who can build teams and has won league titles with Juventus, Chelsea, and Inter Milan. With possible unlimited funds he could mold Newcastle into title contenders. The only issue I see here is Newcastle are a 3/4 year project. If you look at his career the longest he’s been at a club is two seasons.
- Does Roberto Martinez walk away from Belgium with the 2022 World Cup 13/14 months away? It’s very possible when you look at their back line. Toby Alderweireld turns 33 and Jan Verthonghen turns 35 next year with no sign of quality replacements emerging in the next 12 months. They just lost to France 3-2 in the UEFA Nations League Semi-finals after goin 2-0 up. That result could lead him to coming to the decision that he has taken them as far as he can.
NEXT NEWCASTLE MANAGER ODDS BETTING TIP
I’m going with Steven Gerrard at +600. He’s achieved every he can at Rangers and the Newcastle job is a great challenge with potential to develop them into a Super Club. He would jump ship to Liverpool at a drop of the hat but I don’t think Juergen Klopp will leave before his contract ends in 2024.
WHERE TO BET PREMIER LEAGUE IN THE US
In the US, you can legally bet on soccer in more than two dozen states. You can bet online in some states, but only in-person betting is allowed in most of them.
DraftKings Sportsbook is available in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
FanDuel Sportsbook is available in Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.