Round 1 of MLS playoffs kick off October 19th & 20th.
Atlanta United look to defend their MLS Cup trophy. LAFC look to lay claim as being the greatest team in MLS history.
How do the MLS playoffs work?
Seven (7) teams from each conference qualify for the playoffs.
The format is now entirely single elimination, adding a degree of randomness that’s at least somewhat limited when you have home at home series.
Also, the top seed in each conference receives a first round bye. The top seed plays the winner of the #4 vs #5 seed game.
The higher seeded team hosts each round of the playoffs, including the final.
MLS playoff Round 1 odds
Here are the odds from all MLS round 1 playoff games. Home team is listed first.
|MLS PLAYOFFS||SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19TH|
|Toronto FC -182||Draw +335||DC United +430|
|Atlanta United -225||Draw +390||New England +480|
|Seattle Sounder -137||Draw +290||FC Dallas +340|
|Real Salt Lake +100||Draw +250||Portland Timbers +265|
|MLS PLAYOFFS||SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20TH|
|Philadelphia Union -112||Draw +275||New York Red Bulls +270|
|Minnesota United +110||Draw +255||LA Galaxy +230|
Odds & Ends
- Soccer is random as hell on a game-by-game basis. This won’t be all chalk. One of the road teams will surprise.
- In big matches like these, often is the individual moments of brilliance that determine outcomes.
- So if you’re looking for upsets / value, look at the teams with players who can create a moment of brilliance to win a game that their team is struggling. DC United with Wayne Rooney (+430) and LA Galaxy with Zlatan (+230) are your most likely upset candidates.
Where to Bet MLS Playoffs in the US
In the US, you can legally bet on soccer online in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Who: Cincinnati vs NYCFC
When: Saturday, August 17th @ 7:30 pm ET
Line: Cincinatti -245 | Draw +280 | NYCFC -105
Badly, if not quite desperately, in need of a win, a humbled NYCFC travels to to face the league’s worst team, Cincinnati FC, Saturday night at Nippert Stadium.
The Bronx boys dropped a 2-1 decision to Atlanta United last Sunday. No disgrace there. However, how NYC capitulated was enough to get a rise out of Dome Torrent.
The New York City FC coach felt that his team was afraid to play the short pass. Instead, they opted for the “safety” of the long ball, upsetting to Torrent because that contradicts the style that he preaches and the way of playing that has led to NYCFC’s best moments in 2019.
“What is the reason why you play different against Atlanta?” Torrent asked in his post-game comments. “If you make a mistake, you make a mistake. You have to be brave in Atlanta. If you want to play here, you have to be brave. If you are scared here, forget about it. Stay in New York. You have to play. If you play all the time quickly, quickly and lose the ball every three seconds it’s impossible to win here.”
New Cincinnati coach Ron Jans employs the high press. His new charges did so to good effect in last Saturday’s 2-2 draw versus Columbus Crew in the “Hell is Real” Derby. Still, NYCFC should have better success against the expansion side or some of Torrent’s players might be wishing they had been allowed to “stay in New York.”
Cincinatti vs NYCFC Preview
Cincinnati has had a difficult transition to the big leagues after conquering all comers to win the 2018 USL title. The club is already on its second coach with Jans recently taking over from USL holdover Alan Koch.
Cincinnati has recently added a Derrick Etiene from the New York Red Bulls. Etiene is a tricky winger/forward with talent that could never make his breakthrough in New York. Joe Gyau, haunted by injury for years, has come on board from second division German side MSV Duisburg.
Still just 26 years old, Cincy is banking on Gyau maintaining some of the speed and skills that made him a top American abroad long before Christian Pulisic. In fact, Pulisic’s old club Borussia Dortmund is one of five German clubs to have had Gyau on the books during his injury-ravaged career. Gyau spent the last two seasons in the German second division, first with SG Sonnenhof Großaspach and then with MSV Duisburg.
USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter clearly believes in Gyau. The current boss gave Gyau the most recent of his three full caps in June, calling the winger in as a substitute versus Jamaica.
Cincinnati has also added fullback Andrew Gutman, on loan from Glasgow Celtic. Gutman impressed, drawing praise from Jans. “I was really satisfied with his performance and also with his stamina, his fitness,” Jans told the club website after the 2-2 stalemate with Columbus. “He was taking initiative. In attacking, he can help us. I think he did a good, proper job also defensively, so a good debut.”
If it all seems a bit slapdash, I suppose that is to be expected with a team that has so far compiled a record of 5 wins, 17 losses, and 3 draws. And the MLS newcomers don’t discriminate. Cincinnati is bad on both sides of the ball. Their 25 goals are the least in the league. Defensively no team comes close to matching Cincy’s 57 goals surrendered.
The same can be said for the team’s play at home and on the road. Only Montreal can match Cincinnati’s 2 home wins for the league-worst. That is in part why NYCFC finds themselves as odds-on favorites on the road.
NYCFC’s +2 goal differential is far superior to Cincinatti’s almost incomprehensible -32. Still with 2-3 games in hand to their Eastern conference peers, NYCFC’s playoff spot seems secure. A win Saturday is a must though to stay in contention for the top spot in the conference.
Match: Atlanta United vs. NYCFC
Date and Time: Sunday, Aug 11 at 4:00pm ET
Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Line: Atlanta United-136 | Draw +290 | NYCFC +330
Third place NYCFC is coming to town to battle second place Atlanta United, the top deck is open and tickets are going like __ (insert favorite Atlanta or Southern food here). This game is set up so well it could be an MLS regular-season game to excite even Zlatan!
And if not, why not? Both teams are coming off wins and looking to chase down first place Philadelphia Union (42 points) as we head into the business end of the season.
After a slow start to the campaign, 2018 MLS Golden Boot winner Josef Martinez is back leading the Atlanta attack. Don’t look now Carlos Vela, but Martinez has scored in nine consecutive matches, tying his MLS record.
That scoring run has Martinez, who set the single season league record last year with 31, on 18 goals, just four behind Vela.
Atlanta is, of course, a different team this year without Miguel Almiron and with Frank de Boer behind the bench in place of Tata Martino.
Gone too is Atlanta’s expansive, easy on the eye style. The switch to de Boer’s more rigid ways took some adjusting to for 2018 MLS Cup Champions, as they seemed to be asking if it’s not broke, why fix it?
The one player that has benefitted from the new way is center back Miles Robinson, a 22-year-old American that finds himself in contention for the U23/Olympic team, having become a regular under de Boer, playing all 24 of United’s games in 2019, starting 23.
Interestingly, Robinson’s situation is a virtual echo of the one James Sands faces with NYCFC. Sands also went from a spare part under Torrent and his successor Partick Vieira in 2018 to a key piece of the puzzle for his club, starting at the center of a three-center back set.
Sands missed some time recently with a broken arm and Torrent rested the 19-year-old for Thursday night’s 3-2 win over Houston but expect the Rye, New York native back in the lineup Sunday against Martinez and company.
Sands is teamed with veterans Maxime Chanot and Alexander Callens with the experienced pair also providing some beef that the 5’11” Sands, listed at 162 pounds lacks, allowing the former midfielder to showcase his ball-playing skills from the center of the defense.
It was a big moment for NYC against Houston when Maxi Moralez checked into the game Thursday night, mere moments after 10 man Houston had taken a 2-1 lead with a Mauro Manotas goal, decidedly against the run of play.
Moralez is the key to New York’s attack, teaming with Alexandru Mitrita and striker’s Heber and Valentin Castellanos who came off the bench to score the tying and winning goals versus Houston.
Atlanta has been extremely reliant on Martinez for goals this season. The Atlanta marksman’s 18 goals are a far cry from the four each tallied by Julian Gressel and Ezequiel Barco, next on Atlanta’s goals list.
Barco has yet to live up to the hype generated by his big money move to Atlanta prior to the 2018 season. Doubts were swirling around Gonzalo “Pity” Martinez earlier this season, but the tide seems to be turning. If Pity is synched up with Josef Martinez come playoff time, then Atlanta could mount a serious defense of its title.
As for Sunday, Atlanta’s home record of 9 wins, 1 loss, and 3 draws makes United a favorite against any team coming into Mercedes Benz, with the possible exception of LAFC. New York should make it tough on United and a draw isn’t out of the question, but with 70,00 plus screaming fans behind them Atlanta should enjoy some home cooking come Sunday.
Who: LAFC vs NY Red Bulls
When: SUN AUG 11, 10:00 PM ET on FS1 · TSN 1/4 · FOX Sports GO
Line: LAFC -315 | Draw +440 | +700
Already the best team in MLS by a wide margin, the Los Angeles Football Club has just added highly rated 19-year-old Uruguayan midfielder Brian Hernandez from Penarol as a Young Designated Player.
Diego Rossi also came to LAFC from Penarol, signing with the new LA side in December of 2017. Hernandez starred for Uruguay at the recent U20 World Cup and has experience playing in both the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana.
As L.A.’s Bob Bradley-led juggernaut welcomes the New York Red Bulls to the Banc of California Park for a Sunday night showdown, NYRB has some transfer news of its own. The Red Bulls have just put pen to paper on a loan deal for 22 year-old winger Josh Sims, who comes to New York from Southampton on a Young DP contract for the rest of 2019.
Sims has made 20 Premier League appearances for the Saints, earning important minutes at the end of last season as Southampton successfully fought to secure its Premier League status.
With visa issues still to be resolved neither newcomer will be available on Sunday, although there will be plenty of talent on hand, particularly in the black and gold of the home team.
LAFC vs New York Red Bulls Match Preview
At 9 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw, Los Angeles has a near-perfect home mark. They are not too bad on the road either, where they are 7-3-3.
The Red Bulls, third now in a tightly packed Eastern Conference, cannot come close to LA’s numbers and are 3-4-3 away from Red Bull Arena. If Chris Armas’ men are to get a result out of their cross country jaunt they will need to take some steps toward re-establishing the defensive chemistry that led New York’s MLS originals to the league’s best defensive record in 2018.
Perhaps the closing of the MLS transfer window on midnight Wednesday, August 7 will do the Red Bulls some good in that respect, now that Aaron Long knows where he will be playing his soccer for the immediate future.
The 2018 MLS Defender of the Year was reportedly close to a move to the Premier League’s West Ham, with other clubs in other league’s also said to be bidding for him. Long is a professional and seems unlikely to go into a funk, but performance levels have been known to drop when players are denied a move.
Long, goalkeeper Luis Robles and all the Red Bulls will need a big performance against L.A. who leads the league with 61 goals, 14 goals better than Philadelphia, second in MLS with 46.
Of course, goalkeeper Tyler Miller, center backs Walker Zimmerman and Eddie Segura have led LAFC to the best defensive record in the league, with LA having surrendered just 23 goals.
Of late, however, that defensive shield has shown a crack or two, with LA conceding twice after having built a 3-0 lead versus Atlanta on July 26. LAFC managed to close out that win, badly needed after Zlatan Ibrahimovich had hung a hattrick on them the previous week in a 3-2 loss to the L.A. Galaxy.
LA got back on track with a 2-0 win Saturday at New England behind goals from Diego Rossi and Latif Blessing. Rossi is second on the team and fourth in the league with 13 goals, with likely MVP Carlos Vela setting the pace with his MLS leading 22 goals and 13 assists, level with NYCFC’s Maxi Moralez for the top spot on the helpers chart.
With a very impressive record of 16 wins, 3 losses, and four draws, LAFC has obviously been consistent all season. From a points dropped standpoint, LA’s worst stretch was when they drew consecutive matches, 1-1 at Seattle on April 28 and 0-0 at home to Chicago on May 4.
As for the Red Bulls, consistently inconsistent might be the best way to describe their 2019 season. Going back to a pair of wins, 4-0 over Real Salt Lake on June 1, and 2-0 versus Cinncinatti on May 25, the Red Bull have alternated wins with losses, with just a 3-3 draw with Atlanta on July 7 breaking the win, lose, win, lose pattern.
NYRB are heavy underdogs at +700. With a +7 goal differential compared to LAFC’s +38, and on the road, they should be. Oddsmakers have the most likely outcome a 3-0 LAFC win (+800), meaning this could be a long night for the Red Bulls.
Who: NYCFC vs. Houston Dynamo
Where: Yankee Stadium – Bronx
When: August 8 – 7:00 PM ET
Line: NYCFC -210 | Draw +335 | Houston +540
STREAMING: MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada
New York City FC returns home to the cozy confines of Yankee Stadium Thursday night following last weekend’s disappointing 3-1 loss at Real Salt Lake. With all of their rivals playing over that same weekend, NYC retained games in hand over the four teams above them in the standings.
A win on Thursday would, therefore, see NYC climb to third in the East with 38 points, one behind Atlanta.
NYCFC comes into this match in a feisty mood, led by coach Dome Torrent who is none too happy with the league for deciding to play his star Maxi Moralez versus Atletico Madrid in last week’s All-Star game.
Here is what Torrent told NYCFC radio broadcaster, Glenn Crooks (@GlennCrooks):
Dome Torrent, missing his 10, isn’t happy w/ #MLS: “I don’t understand why @MLS decide to play w/ Maxi Moralez. Everybody knows he was injured. He played 70% walking all the time. I’m not sure if he’s ready to play the next game. And look-he played in All-Stars.” #RSLvNYC #NYCFC
Given that we saw Moralez limp off of the Etihad Pitch at Yankee Stadium on July 26, just four days before the All-Star Game, and given further that Moralez did not dress for New York’s 3-1 loss to Real Salt Lake on August 3rd, Torrent would seem to have every reason to be angry.
The status of the MLS assist leader is uncertain for Thursday.
NYCFC vs Houston Dynamo Preview
Houston comes to the Bronx without a goal on its side of the ledger over its past 180 minutes, dropping a pair of 1-0 losses at home to Chicago and Seattle. Wilmer Cabrera’s side has to go back to July 20th for a goal-scoring memory, when the Dynamo put three into the Toronto net in a 3-1 victory.
Former NYCFC fan favorite Tommy McNamara notched one that night. The Rockland County native has become an important piece for Cabrera both from the start and off of the bench.
This match also offers New York area fans one last chance to tip a cap or raise a glass, or in some way honor the USMNT great DaMarcus Beasley, who has announced that this will be his final season as a professional soccer player.
Along with having one of the all-time great nicknames, Run DMB has represented American soccer since 2000 and through four World Cups, the only American to actually play in four Mundials. He is also the first Yank to have advanced to the UEFA Champions League Semifinal, where his PSV Eindhoven was eliminated by AC Milan.
With six starts this season, Beasley is no longer a regular for Houston, but he is still capable of providing a moment of magic. He did so versus Club America in the inaugural League’s Cup on July 24 when he turned the clock all the way back, raided down the left wing and powered a beaut past the Mexican club’s keeper. Houston lost on PKs but it was a fitting reminder of what Run DMB has provided for the USMNT for so many years.
If Houston is to trouble NYC at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night, then that trouble will likely come from one of Mauro Manotas, Alberth Elis, or Romell Quioto, with Memo Rodriquez and Tommy McNamara on hand to lend support.
But New York will be looking to make up for a disappointing trip to the mountains last week and Maxi Moralez’ status notwithstanding, Torrent’s men should come out on top.
Where to Bet NYCFC in the US
All NYCFC games and futures are listed and available.
Who: Real Salt Lake vs NYCFC
When: Saturday, August 3rd @ 10:00pm ET on ESPN+
Where: Rio Tinto Stadium
Line: RSL +138 | Draw +240 | NYCFC +185
NYCFC have made the long trek to Sandy, Utah ahead of Saturday night’s match against Real Salt Lake. RSL is in the midst of some turbulence with coach Mike Petke set to serve the second game of his three-game MLS suspension.
The ex N.Y. Red Bulls boss has also been fined $25,000 and banned for three future League’s Cup matches. The suspension is for the use of unacceptable and offensive language as well as repeated confrontational misconduct towards match officials.
Petke must also attend anger management, sensitivity and diversity training.
Commissioner Don Garber was not pleased, and although the exact language used has not been released, Petke is rumored to have directed a homophobic slur at the referee. “There is absolutely no place for this type of behavior in our society, and Major League Soccer does not tolerate the repugnant language used by Mr. Petke.”
“All MLS players, staff and fans must know that these comments are unacceptable, and I am extremely disappointed that a leader of one of our clubs used such insensitive language. We are committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect at all times.”– Don Garber on RSL coach Mike Petke
RSL vs NYCFC Preview
Now to the game. RSL cannot afford to be distracted by all of this. The club is in a playoff battle, tied on points with seventh-place Portland, and just two back of FC Dallas for sixth place.
RSL is coming off of a decent 3 wins -1 loss -3 draws stretch and might have come away from Dallas with a big win were it not for some acrobatic goalkeeping by Jesse Gonzalez.
Sam Johnson leads the attack for Salt Lake, who will be coached once again by assistant Freddy Juarez who led RSL out versus FC Dallas last Saturday.
Johnson leads RSL with eight goals but it is a fairly balanced attack. Albert Rusnak has contributed seven goals and three assists. Jefferson Savarino has added five goals with Danny Kralich chipping in with four goals and three assists.
American soccer icons, midfielder Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando, are still at it for RSL. However, Rimado announced that he will hang up his gloves at the end of the 2019 season.
RSL also features a contingent of somewhat younger Americans from center-back Justen Glad and fullback Aaron Herrera. They also feature the versatile Brooks Lennon, midfielder Sebastian “Bofo” Saucedo, and forward Corey Baird.
Lennon, Glad, Herrera, and Saucedo captured the CONCACAF title for the United States and advanced to the final eight in South Korea in the 2017 FIFA U20 World Championships.
New York will be aware that Salt Lake enjoys its home cooking, compiling a 7-2-1 record at Rio Tinto Stadium.
New York won’t be too worried, though. With a 4-2-4 road record, they’re second in the league to Bob Bradley’s LAFC. MLS is a notoriously difficult league on road teams, so much so that LAFC and NYCFC are the only teams in the league above .500 away from home. DC United is dead level at 4-4-4.
While RSL is slightly favored in this match, should they be?
With Alexander Ring playing out of his skin on both sides of the ball, MLS assist leader Maxi Moralez dishing, Heber making goal-scoring look routine and the remainder of Dome Torrent’s side proving more than ample backup, it would surprising not to see the visitors from the east emerge with at least one point, if not the full complement.
Who: New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC
When: Saturday, August 3rd @ 6:00pm ET on ESPN+
Where: Red Bull Arena
Line: New York Red Bulls -114 | Draw +285 | Toronto FC +270
Welcome back from the break, now, where were we?
Oh, yeah, on July 27, um last Saturday, the New York Red Bulls dropped a painful 3-2 decision at home to the hugely disappointing Columbus Crew – wasn’t Caleb Porter supposed to be better than this? – that left them sitting in 5th place with 34 points. Not terrible, but not great after 23 games from the defending Supporters Shield winners.
Now the Red Bulls hope to kick off a stretch run with a win against a side in worse shape than themselves, the struggling Toronto Football Club. Despite a 2-1 home win over FC Cincy last Saturday, TFC spent the break below the playoff line. However, a win on Saturday could push them as far up the table as 5th place, ahead of the Red Bulls and level on points with 4th place NYCFC.
New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC match preview
With the taste of that loss to Columbus and the lingering feeling that they should have done better than a 3-1 loss in Toronto back on July 17, the Red Bulls figure to be a somewhat angry side on Saturday night.
The Red Bulls have done well over the years against Toronto, especially at home, where the Bulls have are an impressive 11-2-2 versus the Reds over the years.
To keep that record climbing, New York will need to contend with Jozy Altidore, who has scored a goal in four consecutive games, some of them quite spectacular, and MLS All-Star Alejandro Puzuelo, who has been a smash hit since coming to the league. Puzuelo has nine goals and nine assists in 19 games. Giovinco-esque, no?
As for Altidore, the man a sizable portion of USMNT supporters love to hate, he has been flashing the combination of power and skill that first excited the American soccer community when he first appeared on the scene way back in 2006.
Altidore has nine goals in 13 games this season, just nine starts. Simply put, when Altidore is healthy, he is still far and away the best American striker and a top MLS star.
TFC has not been sharp defensively and is looking to another controversial USMNT man, Omar Gonzalez, to right that ship. Gonzalez has played three games for Toronto since returning to the league for the first time since 2015, when Gonzalez left the L.A. Galaxy for Mexico.
New York coach Chris Armas has yet to rely on Bradley Wright-Phillips for a full match since the veteran striker’s return. Instead, he is choosing to bring BWP off of the bench to replace or play alongside Reb Bulls joint-leading goal scorer Brian White.
Armas may be inclined to continue that strategy, although a surprise pairing from the start could upset TFC coach Greg Vanney’s plans. In our mid-season Report Card, we pointed out that it may be time for Derrick Etienne to make a jump from bit player to a more prominent role in the Red Bulls attack.
His confidence is on the up after playing an important part in Haiti’s Gold Cup campaign. The Haitian-American is quick, skillful and can be audacious, qualities the Red Bulls offense could surely use.
The Red Bulls finally have their health as they head into the final portion of the 2019 season. If the team is to make a run to the playoffs and perhaps do some damage once they get there, last season’s league leading defense simply must cut down on the mistakes and tighten up in front of Luis Robles.
The Tyler Adams effect has been real but with four international quality defenders in Kemar Lawrence, Michael Murillo, Aaron Long, and Tim Parker, the Red Bulls defense can and should be among the league’s best.
Some really big match-ups this week in MLS.
Coming off a Zlatan-depantsing, this year’s presumptive champs LAFC look to rebound against last year’s actual champs, Atlanta United. But that’s not the only major match-up.
Zlatan leads LA Galaxy to Portland as they try keep LAFC within their sights in the Western conference. Seattle takes on Houston in another important match-up for Western conference playoff aspirations. FC Dallas host RSL as both teams try to stay in the playoff race as well.
Lots of intriguing games. Here are the odds.
MLS Matchweek 21 Odds
As always, home team is listed first. Read how to bet MLS for a refresher.
|NYCFC -138||Draw +275||Sporting KC +360|
|LAFC -205||Draw +375||Atlanta United +450|
|New England -167||Draw +310||Orlando +410|
|New York Red Bulls -139||Draw +255||Columbus Crew +400|
|Chicago Fire -143||Draw +300||DC United +340|
|FC Dallas -130||Draw +270||Real Salt Lake +340|
|Houston Dynamo +100||Draw +270||Seattle Sounders +240|
|Minnesota United -275||Draw +400||Vancouver +650|
|Montreal Impact +148||Draw +245||Philadelphia Union +170|
|Toronto FC -286||Draw +470||Cincinnati +650|
|San Jose -240||Draw +400||Colorado Rapids +525|
|Portland Timbers -182||Draw +340||LA Galaxy +420|
Odds & Ends
Let’s focus on where the value is this week:
- At -205, LAFC might not be your traditional value play. However, it’s hard to imagine they don’t come out on Friday with something to prove against Atlanta.
- DC United is inconsistent af, but +340 against Chicago? Take a hard look at the draw (+300) or DC outright. They’re the better team and are +6 on Chicago on gd.
- Montreal may be in 6th place in the Eastern conference, but they have the 3rd worst goal differential (-11). If Philadelphia Union is for real, they’ll handle their business at +170.
- Yes, Portland looks much improved. But Galaxy at +420 is practically begging you to take them. Lots of value at that price even if you like the Timbers.
Updated: June 10th, 2019
Despite a recent resurgence, reigning champs Atlanta United have fallen from pre-season favorites of +500 to +900. Last year’s Supporters’ Shield winner for best regular-season record, New York Red Bulls, dropped even further, going from +550 to +1600.
LAFC, who started the year at +700, are no prohibitive favorites at +200. They’re followed by Zlatan-led LA Galaxy (+750), the aforementioned ATL UTD, and NYCFC (+900). Eastern conference table-toppers Philadelphia Union have climbed from a pre-season +3300 to +1600.
The biggest risers from pre-season are San Jose. They’ve climbed from the cellar (+25000) to a respectable +6000.
(Odds as of June 10th, 2019)
|LAFC +200||LA Galaxy – +750||Atlanta United +900||NYCFC +900|
|DC United +1400||New York Red Bulls +1600||Seattle Sounders +1600||Philadelphia Union +1600|
|Montreal Impact +1600||Columbus Crew +2400||Houston Dynamo +2400||FC Dallas +3100|
|Sporting KC +3100||Toronto FC +3100||Portland Timbers +3400||Minnesota United +5000|
|Orlando City +5000||San Jose Earthquakes +6000||Chicago Fire +9500||Real Salt Lake +9500|
|Vancouver Whitecaps +11000||Colorado Rapids +12000||New England Revolution +12000||FC Cincinnati +20000|
MLS Matchday 14 odds are released. It’s another heavy slate of games. Let’s dive right into it.
But wait! Before you do, make sure to read our MLS All-Star Starting XI picks.
MLS Matchweek 14 Odds
All listed odds from May 29 on FanDuel Sportsbook NJ.
|Wednesday, May 29|
|Atlanta United -210||Draw +350||Minnestoa United +550|
|Philadelphia -270||Draw +410||Colorado +650|
|Montreal Impact -125||Draw +270||Real Salt Lake +330|
|DC United +105||Draw +250||Chicago Fire +240|
|Sporting KC -120||Draw +290||La Galaxy +290|
|Saturday, June 1||Draw +440|
|Montreal Impact -120||Draw +260||Orlando City +340|
|Atlanta United -195||Draw +340||Chicago Fire +500|
|New York Red Bulls -160||Draw +300||Real Salt Lake +430|
|Columbus +130||Draw +240||NYCFC +200|
|DC United -125||Draw +280||San Jose +330|
|FC Dallas +120||Draw +240||Seattle Sounders +210|
|Houston Dynamo +115||Draw +280||Sporting KC +295|
|Portland Timbers +210||Draw +270||LAFC +120|
|Sunday, June 2||Draw +330||San Jose Earthquakes +430|
|LA Galaxy -210||Draw +360||New England +500|
Visit FanDuel Sportsbook NJ as games near for updated odds and, for NJ residents, to place your wagers.
Odds and Ends
- Atlanta United is coming off a gut-punch loss and have road-weary legs. They could be vulnerable to a draw or loss on Wednesday against a Minnesota team that equals the Five Stripes in goal differential this season.
- New York Red Bulls are surging up the table. Getting -160 at home on Saturday against RSL feels like easy money.
- When are people going to start talking about Houston Dynamo? They have the second-best goal differential in the West. They’re hosting Sporting KC who will be coming off three days rest. Houston at +115 seems like a no-brainer.
- New England travels across country on Sunday to play LA Galaxy. Kick off is 10:30pm ET. The hour and the odds (-210 Galaxy) favor LA.
MLS Matchday 13 odds are released.
This week doesn’t match many top table teams against each other. It’s more about seeing if trends are sustainable. For example:
- How much better is the West than the East? LAFC (1st in West) hosting Montreal Impact (3rd in East despite a -4 goal differential) will showcase the potential chasm in quality.
- Is Philadelphia Union for real? They’ll have another chance to prove it as they host a struggling Portland Timbers.
- As discussed on our High Press Pod last week, is the improved play of New York Red Bulls and NYCFC a mirage, or a sign that the ship has been righted?
- And same goes for road warriors Atlanta United. They fly across country again (seriously, MLS schedulers?) to face an improved Real Salt Lake squad. Will they be weary from all of the travel, or show resilience by gutting out some points?
MLS Matchweek 13 Odds
All listed odds from May 21 on FanDuel Sportsbook NJ.
|Wednesday, May 22|
|New York Red Bulls -200||Draw +330||Vancouver +550|
|Friday, May 24||Draw +320||Portland Timbers +350|
|Orlando City -120||Draw +290||LA Galaxy +280|
|Real Salt Lake +185||Draw +250||Atlanta United +140|
|LAFC -350||Draw +480||Montreal Impact +800|
|Saturday, May 25||Draw +440|
|Chicago Fire +130||Draw +250||NYCFC +195|
|Vancouver +130||Draw +250||FC Dallas +200|
|New England +115||Draw +250||DC United +230|
|FC Cincinnati +165||Draw +240||New York Red Bulls +160|
|Philadelphia -160||Draw +310||Portland Timbers +410|
|Minnesota United +115||Draw +260||Houston Dynamo+220|
|Colorado Rapids +145||Draw +240||Columbus Crew +185|
|Sunday, May 26|
|Toronto FC -170||Draw +330||San Jose Earthquakes +430|
|Sporting KC -125||Draw +290||Seattle Sounders +300|
Visit FanDuel Sportsbook NJ as games near for updated odds and, for NJ residents, to place your wagers.
Odds and Ends
- Orlando City is slumping. LA Galaxy are a better team. Yet Orlando is the odds on favorite (-120). Lots to like about Galaxy at +280.
- Vancouver plays away against New York Red Bulls on Wednesday, then flies cross-continent for a home game on Saturday against FC Dallas. Vancouver is favored (+130). Take a good hard look at FC Dallas at +200 there. Dallas is the better team and not as road-weary.
- New England is putrid with the worst goal differential in MLS. The Bruce Arena hire can’t turn them around that quickly, can it? Oddsmakers seem to think so, as New England is favored (+115) over DC United (+230). You have to like United at +230 or the draw at +250 there.
- Finally, while Sporting KC is better than their bottom-dweller standing currently suggests, they shouldn’t be odds-on favorites against a much better Seattle team. Seattle at +300 would be hard to pass up.
MLS Matchday 12 odds are released and with loads of quality games this week. Our two marquee match-ups for the week are: Philadelphia vs Seattle Sounders and New York Red Bulls vs Atlanta United
MLS Matchweek 12 Game Odds
All listed odds from May 15 on FanDuel Sportsbook NJ.
|Wednesday, May 15|
|Toronto FC -150||Draw +310||D.C. United +380|
|Houston Dynamo -150||Draw +320||Portland Timbers +350|
|Vancouver Whitecaps +220||Draw +250||Atlanta United +120|
|Seattle Sounders -220||Draw +360||Orlando City +550|
|Thursday, May 16||Draw +260||Southampton +195|
|Los Angeles FC -310||Draw +440||FC Dallas +750|
|Saturday, May 18||Liverpool -310|
|Montreal Impact -135||Draw +280||New England +350|
|Real Salt Lake +130||Draw +270||Toronto FC +185|
|San Jose Earthquakes +105||Draw +280||Chicago Fire +220|
|Philadelphia -120||Draw +280||Seattle Sounders +300|
|Minnesota United +115||Draw +250||Columbus +230|
|Houston Dynamo -130||Draw +290||D.C. United +320|
|Kansas City -250||Draw +390||Vancouver Whitecaps +600|
|Sunday, May 19|
|Orlando City -135||Draw +280||FC Cincinnati +370|
|New York Red Bulls +140||Draw +250||Atlanta United +185|
|FC Dallas +190||Draw +260||Los Angeles FC +130|
|LA Galaxy -270||Draw +440||Colorado +650|
Visit FanDuel Sportsbook NJ as games near for updated odds and, for NJ residents, to place your wagers.
Odds and Ends
- In our first marquee match of the week, Philadelphia Union (-120) take on Seattle Sounders (+300). Not only does Philadelphia have the advantage of playing at home, but they are also sitting 1st in the Eastern Conference and have a 5 game unbeaten streak. Seattle Sounders are not in a bad position either – sitting 3rd in the Western Conference. However, they have only won 1 out of 4 away games and have not beat Philly since 2016.
- In our other marquee match up, New York Red Bulls (+140) take on Atlanta United (+185). Last week, we had high hopes for NYRB who seemed to be getting back in their groove with two back-to-back wins…until Montreal brought them back to reality beating them 2-1 in New York. They did, however, redeem themselves against Dallas this past Saturday. Meanwhile, Atlanta has been on a roll with four back to back wins. Atlanta does, however, have a difficult week ahead of them as they travel all the way to Vancouver on Wednesday after just playing this past Sunday and then heading to New York on Sunday. While Atlanta is doing that, Red Bulls get to recover and prepare the whole week for Sunday’s match up. Regardless, this will be a good indicator as to which team’s improved form is for real.
- Who: LA Galaxy vs NYCFC
- When: Saturday, May 11th at 4:00pm ET
- Where to Watch: Dignity Health Sports Park and live on ESPN
- Odds: LA Galaxy +105 | Draw +270 | NYCFC +230
On a pleasant Tuesday morning at their bucolic suburban New York training center, New York City FC squeezed in one final practice session before flying cross country to face LA Galaxy and its outsize striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Saturday afternoon.
The mood mirrored the surroundings. With NYCFC riding a string of positive results, no one seemed unduly concerned about the team’s impending clash with the 7W-2L-1D Galaxy.
Which is not to say that New York is downplaying the task ahead of them. In fact, despite facing L.A. for the first time with Ibrahimovic in the fold, New York is better acquainted with the superstar than most MLS teams.
Zlatan a familiar foe for NYCFC
“I have good memories from Barcelona, this player because I worked one year with him (and) it’s my opinion Ibra is one of the best strikers in the last 20 years.”
Both coach Dominic Torrent and fullback/wingback Anton Tinnerholm have professional experience with and against the towering L.A. striker. Torrent, who has spent most of his career as Pep Guardiola’s loyal lieutenant, worked with Ibrahimovic at Barcelona as an assistant coach. While things famously did not work out between Guardiola and Ibrahimovic at Barcelona, Torrent chose to focus on the positives Tuesday afternoon. Said Torrent:
“I have good memories from Barcelona, this player because I worked one year with him (and) it’s my opinion Ibra is one of the best strikers in the last 20 years. For me (he) is amazing. Everybody knows how important this player is in the world, not in just L.A. It is always impossible to mark this player because he has quality feet, he has the quality to attack the spaces, keep the ball and score, assist. Now repeat, I’m very happy to meet again with this player because I have good memories in Barcelona.”
Zlatan will see another familiar face when LA. line up against NYC Saturday afternoon: former Sweden teammate Anton Tinnerholm.
Tinnerholm has just nine international caps, but the New York fullback/wingback recalled on Tuesday that, “I played against him a couple of times and I played with him in the national team, so I know how good he is.”
New York’s 2018 Defender of the Year, Tinnerholm is playing some of the best soccer he has played since coming over to MLS prior to last season, and when he was first asked about facing his countryman, the 28-year-old tried to play it cool.
“I played against a couple of other Swedes in the league but to be honest, I look more forward to get three points,” Tinnerholm said, before opening up just a bit. “But of course, he is the best player ever Sweden had, so of course it’s going to be fun to play against him.”
Sands appears fit for Saturday
New York recently made a much-ballyhooed switch from a back four to a three back/five back (possession dependent) formation. That new look will be put to the test against LA and Ibra.
We will have to wait and see who will be manning those positions, but Torrent appeared optimistic that his 18-year-old mainstay James Sands will return after missing one game with an abductor muscle injury. To these untrained eyes, Sands looked to be moving well while training with the injured/recovering group on Tuesday and Torrent’s comments only reinforced that impression.
“He’s much better,” the coach said of Sands, adding, “Jimmy maybe can play against L.A. Mata (Matarita) is a doubt, and Maxie (Moralez) and Eber, I don’t know in the moment because today they have a medical test. But Jimmy has more possibilities to play.”
Whether Torrent will pit the youngster straight up on Ibra is another question. It may be worth noting that the NYCFC coach said of Sands, “he can play, you know, in the center back and he can play the double six. We have to decide in the last one.”
Is stopping Zlatan the key to stopping Galaxy’s attack?
Watching the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls last weekend, it became apparent that while “one trick pony” might be harsh, L.A. did seem very reliant on Ibrahimovic for goals, as his nine goals in eight games played would attest.
So, High Press Soccer put the question to his old teammate Tinnerholm, “Stop Ibrahimovic, stop the Galaxy?”
“Yeah, of course, he’s the most important player for LA,” Tinnerholm began. “So we have to handle him in a good way. So that’s the most important. Like I said before, we haven’t had any (team) meetings yet.”
With three days between Tuesday’s practice session and Saturday, NYCFC will surely work on a plan to slow the Galaxy’s Swedish superstar. As Tinnerholm put it, “we’re going to look at some clips and see what we what we can do. But I think it’s up to us. If we keep the ball in the team like we did the last couple of games they’re not going to have the ball as much.”
Tinnerholms words seem logical, “they can’t create as many chances, so we feel we do what we can do the best. Then we’re gonna get a win.”
MLS Matchday 11 odds are released. Starting off the week we already have four matches on Wednesday night, including our marquee match of the week:Atlanta United and Toronto FC.
MLS Matchweek 11 Game Odds
All listed odds from May 08 onFanDuel Sportsbook NJ.
|Wednesday, May 8|
|Atlanta United -180||Draw +340||Toronto FC +450|
|Columbus Crew +100||Draw +270||LA Galaxy +250|
|New York Red Bulls -135||Draw +280||Montreal Impact +380|
|Chicago Fire -165||Draw +310||New England +430|
|Friday, May 10||Draw +270||LA Galaxy +250|
|Vancouver Whitecaps +130||Draw +260||Portland Timbers +190|
|Saturday, May 11|
|FC Cincinnati +120||Draw +260||Montreal Impact +210|
|FC Dallas +100||Draw +260||New York Red Bulls +260|
|Toronto FC +100||Draw +280||Philadelphia Union +240|
|LA Galaxy +100||Draw +280||New York City FC +250|
|Columbus Crew +150||Draw +270||Los Angeles FC +260|
|New England -105||Draw +280||San Jose Earthquakes +250|
|Chicago Fire -120||Draw +280||Minnesota United +290|
|Colorado +105||Draw +280||Real Salt Lake +220|
|Sunday, May 12|
|Atlanta United -195||Draw +370||Orlando City +480|
Odds and Ends
- In our marquee match of the week, Atlanta United (-180) take on Toronto FC (+450) at home. We chose this match for a few reasons: 1) Atlanta had a fantastic upset versus Kansas City last week 2) Atlanta has yet to beat Toronto FC and 3) Barco will be missing from Atlanta’s line up as he is off with Argentina for the U20 World Cup. Pity Martinez, who is still without any assists or goals this season, will be leading the midfield for Atlanta against Toronto and their superstar transfer Pozuelo. The betting odds are in Atlanta’s favor but this match may prove to be more difficult than expected.
- Also playing tonight, New York Red Bulls (-135) take on Montreal Impact (+380) and things seem to be looking up for NYRB. Last week, NYRB put a stop to LA Galaxy’s 7 game winning streak in a 3-2 thriller. Now, NYRB take on Montreal Impact (who are currently sitting third in the Eastern Conference) at home again. NYRB have done well at home…let’s see if they can continue the trend.
- On Saturday, LA Galaxy (+100) will be back at home taking on New York City FC (+250) after their difficult loss to NYRB. This was their first loss in 8 games while New York City are coming off a 2-0 win in Montreal and have been unbeaten in the last 6 matches. In the last head to head match up between these two teams (March 11, 2019), New York City won at home 2-1.
MLS Matchday 9 odds are released, including a large slate of Wednesday night games.
Headlining those games tonight is Columbus Crew vs DC United.
For the weekend, our marquee match up is another showdown between the Seattle Sounders vs Los Angeles FC.
MLS Matchweek 9 Game Odds
|Wednesday, April 24|
|New York City -165||Draw +310||Chicago Fire +420|
|Columbus Crew -155||Draw +290||DC United +430|
|New England Revolution -110||Draw +260||Montreal Impact +280|
|Minnesota United +105||Draw +280||LA Galaxy +220|
|Seattle Sounders -270||Draw +410||San Jose +700|
|Saturday , April 27|
|New York City FC -170||Draw +310||Orlando City SC +440|
|Toronto FC -195||Draw +350||Portland Timbers +490|
|FC Dallas -230||Draw +380||San Jose +600|
|Vancouver +160||Draw +240||Philadelphia +165|
|Atlanta United -270||Draw +410||Colorado Rapids +650|
|New York Red Bulls -200||Draw +350||FC Cincinnati +500|
|Houston Dynamo -115||Draw +280||Columbus Crew +280|
|Sporting KC -290||Draw +350||New England +550|
|Sunday, April 28|
|Montreal Impact -115||Draw +270||Chicago Fire +300|
|Minnesota United +105||Draw +270||DC United +230|
|Seattle Sounders +115||Draw +270||Los Angeles FC +210|
|LA Galaxy -210||Draw +360||Real Salt Lake +500|
Odds and Ends
- In our highlight match for tonight, Columbus Crew (-155) vs DC United (+430), both teams are coming off of losses. Although DC United is sitting in 1st place in the Eastern Conference with 14 points at the moment, Columbus is right on their tail (along with two other teams) with 13 points. This is a home game for Columbus and, although Columbus has not beaten DC since last March, they have won the last two home games against DC.
- Seattle Sounders (-270) vs San Jose (at a whopping +700!) should be more interesting than we think. As the Sounders come home after a tough 4-1 loss away to LAFC, San Jose will be coming in hot after a surprising 4-1 win against Kansas City. Could this be the push San Jose needs to upgrade their spot in the standings? Guess we’ll see tonight…
- Minnesota United (+105) vs LA Galaxy (+220) should be another interesting match up as Minnesota try to get their very first win against LA Galaxy AND their very first win at the Allianz Stadium. A double whammy! Although, it won’t exactly be easy as LA Galaxy is coming in with a five game winning streak with their most recent win being over the unbeaten (not anymore) Houston Dynamo.
- Lastly, in our highlight match of the weekend Sounders (+115) vs LAFC (+210), we ask – “Can LAFC continue their Western Conference dominance?” Last Sunday, LAFC destroyed Seattle 4-1 in LA. This time around, Seattle either get to redeem themselves or lose once again to LAFC but in front of a home crowd. The odds seem to be slightly in Seattle’s favor but not by much.
Eastern Conference leaders DC United host still winless (with 5 draws in 6 games!) but hungry NYCFC.
MLS Matchweek 8 Game Odds
|Friday, April 19|
|FC Cincinnati -115||Draw +280||Real Salt Lake +280|
|Toronto FC -160||Draw +320||Minnesota +390|
|LA Galaxy -125||Draw +290||Houston Dynamo +310|
|Saturday, April 20|
|Chicago Fire -160||Draw +310||Colorado +420|
|Philadelphia Union -145||Draw +290||Montreal +380|
|Orlando City -175||Draw +340||Vancouver +430|
|Atlanta United -155||Draw +300||FC Dallas +400|
|New England Revolution +145||Draw +250||New York Red Bulls +175|
|Columbus Crew -170||Draw +320||Portland Timbers +430|
|San Jose +260||Draw +280||Sporting KC -105|
|Sunday, April 21|
|DC United -115||Draw +270||NYCFC+290|
|LAFC -140||Draw +310||Seattle +340|
Odds and Ends
- Yes, LAFC are the best team in MLS. However, some of LAFC’s placement as top team is because Seattle have two games-in-hand. Seattle at +340 this season against anyone is a bit long. Some value in Seattle at that price or the +310 draw.
- Speaking of draws, call it a hunch, or call it “they’ve literally drawn 5 of 6 matches to date,” but NYCFC at +270 for an even end results is a good price.
- New York Red Bulls traveling to New England are basically getting the exact same odds as Atlanta United did last week. ATL dominated. NYRB at +175 is tasty.
- And speaking of the Five Stripes, are they really back yet? If they’re win over New England wasn’t so much a sign of things to come as it was simply “New England sucks,” then Dallas at +400 or the draw at +300 are good prices.
MLS Matchweek 7 Game OddsAs always, home team is listed first. If you need a refresher, visit how to bet MLS or how to bet soccer. All listed odds from April 10 on FanDuel Sportsbook NJ.
|Wednesday, April 10|
|Colorado Rapids +194||Draw +240||Seattle Sounders +140|
|Friday, April 12|
|Chicago Fire -145||Draw +320||Vancouver Whitecaps +350|
|Saturday, April 13|
|Montreal Impact +115||Draw +250||Columbus Crew +220|
|Houston Dynamo -180||Draw +350||San Jose Earthquakes +440|
|Seattle Sounders -120||Draw +270||Toronto FC +320|
|Minnesota United -115||Draw +280||New York City FC +280|
|New England Revolution +145||Draw +240||Atlanta United +180|
|FC Dallas -155||Draw +310||Portland Timbers +390|
|Colorado Rapids +185||Draw +250||D.C. United +140|
|Real Salt Lake -115||Draw +280||Orlando City +280|
|Los Angeles FC -270||Draw +410||FC Cincinnati +650|
|LA Galaxy -105||Draw +280||Philadelphia Union +250|
|Sunday, April 14|
|Sporting KC +100||Draw +270||New York Red Bulls +250|
Odds and Ends
- In our marquee match-up, Sporting KC (+100) vs New York Red Bulls (+250) battle it out in Sporting’s backyard. Looking at both teams the past weekend, Sporting is coming off a tie away against FC Cincinnati (not to mention their tough loss in CCL) while the Red Bulls come off a loss at home to Minnesota United where the Red Bulls were seen to be struggling. In fact, the Red Bulls have only picked up 4 points in their last 5 matches. Pretty tragic so far. BUT, can anyone remember 2016 when Red Bulls were 1-and-6 and then ended up winning the Eastern Conference? We wouldn’t count them out just yet. Both teams need the points — for morale and conference standings.
- The match of the weekend in terms of current conference standing goes to Seattle Sounders (-120) vs Toronto FC (+320). With Sounders coming off a win at home while Toronto FC struggled for a tie at home last weekend against Chicago Fire, who currently sit at the bottom half of the table of the Eastern Conference, it’s easy to see why Sounders are the favorites. With all this being said, both teams sit in one of the top 3 spots in their conference…if I were Toronto, I’d be a bit offended by the value they were given. Toronto at +320 deserves a longer look.
- A value play worth taking a look at is Minnesota FC (-115) vs New York City FC (+280). Currently, Minnesota have accumulated the most away points (9 points) out of any MLS team in 2019. On top of that, they are about to play in their new home stadium for the very first time. Meanwhile, New York City FC are sitting second to last in the Eastern Conference which makes sense considering they’re currently without a win in their first 5 matches and can’t seem to score (statistics show that they’re averaging LESS than a goal per game). With all this being said, a value favorite is Minnesota FC.
- Another match to look out for is Atlanta United (+180) vs New England Revolution (+145). Both teams are sitting at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. It’s still quite early to make a judgement call based on standings but, needless to say, both teams need a win. ATL UTD are returning fresh after a weekend off while New England are returning home after coming off a loss away at Columbus Crew.
MLS Matchweek 5 lines are now released in full.
The marquee match-ups are Eastern conference fixtures between Orlando City and top-of-the-table DC United, and Columbus Crew vs Atlanta United. An Orlando win *could* temporarily put them top of table (albeit with a game in hand), depending on the outcome of the Friday night Toronto FC vs NYCFC game. An Atlanta United win would…give them their first win.
One thing to watch for is how many players who participated for their country over the international break are inserted back into the starting line-up for their respective clubs.
MLS Matchweek 5 Game Odds
All listed odds from March 28 on BetStars NJ.
|Friday, March 29|
|Toronto FC +100||Draw +270||NYCFC +260|
|Saturday, March 30|
|Chicago Fire +180||Draw +250||New York Red Bulls +145|
|Columbus Crew +105||Draw +260||Atlanta United +250|
|New England Revolution +125||Draw +260||Minnesota United +200|
|Sporting KC -167||Draw +310||Montreal Impact +425|
|FC Cincinnati +125||Draw +260||Philadelphia Union +205|
|Colorado Rapids +150||Draw +245||Houston Dynamo +175|
|Real Salt Lake +120||Draw +240||FC Dallas +225|
|Vancouver Whitecaps +260||Draw +260||Seattle Sounders +100|
|Sunday, March 31|
|Orlando City +145||Draw +260||DC United +170|
|LA Galaxy -120||Draw +290||Portland Timbers +310|
Odds and Ends
- After coming off a win as the biggest Matchweek 4 underdog (+750! On the road! Against the Red Bulls!), Orlando City is getting some respect. They’re now slight home favorites against DC United.
- Should New England be favored against any one right now? They are against a stronger than expected Minnesota United. Some value in that +200 there.
- Atlanta United aren’t automatic favorites any more, especially against a strong Columbus Crew squad.
- Same goes for Colorado. To paraphrase Fran Fraschilla, “they’re two years away from being two years away.” Yet a solid Houston Dynamo team is a slight underdog traveling to Denver.
- NYCFC has struggled, dropping leads and drawing all three games. But +260 to Toronto? Seems a bit long.
- New York Red Bulls have also struggled and had some key players on international duty. Yet, they’re given a slight edge (+145) traveling to Chicago (+180).
- The only odds-on favorites now are the Galaxy and Sporting KC. They former host a falling Timbers team who are receiving some action, going from +310 to +270. The latter is being bet heavily, as Sporting has gone to -167 and Montreal longs from +260 to +425.
With the international break upon us, the MLS has a light matchweek of fixtures. Early contenders like New York Red Bulls, LAFC, and the Columbus Crew at least give this scaled back schedule some headliners.
MLS Matchweek 4 Game Odds
All listed odds from March 20 on FanDuel NJ Sportsbook.
|FC Dallas -170||Draw +310||Colorado +460|
|Philadelphia Union +165||Draw +240||Columbus Crew +160|
|New York Red Bulls -310||Draw +440||Orlando City +750|
|LAFC -170||Draw +310||Real Salt Lake +440|
|New England Revolution -105||Draw +280||FC Cincinnati +250|
Odds and Ends
- NYRB are by far the heaviest favorite this week against a not-great-but-not-that-bad Orlando City. NYRB have a game in hand and if they paste Orlando by 4, would move into an early tie with DC United for top of the table.
- Columbus Crew is an ever-so-slight road favorite against a Philadelphia Union team that just tied Atlanta United. Any points here would move the Crew top of table.
- Should New England Revolution really be an odds-on home favorite? They play a mid-table FC Cincinnati team who also tied ATLUTD on the road. The +280 draw or +250 on Cincinnati outright my have some value.
When we first posted 2019 MLS Cup odds, Atlanta United (as expected) were listed as favorites. After a bumpy start to the season, which has led to some #FdBOUT debates, the Five Stripes have been ousted as the team most likely to hoist a second cup. In their place? The New York Red Bulls.
NYRB odds haven’t actually improved since pre-season, as they’re still +550. Atlanta has dropped from +500 to +700. Seattle Sounders, the only team to not have dropped any points in the MLS so far, has moved from +1000 to +750.
Columbus Crew Rise, Portland Timbers Down
The biggest mover up is a not-missing-Gregg-Berhalter-at-all Columber Crew. They’ve jumped from +3300 to +1200. On the other end, the Portland Timbers have fallen from +1000 to +2000.